http://www.homesteadweaver.com/purses_totes.htm
I need a kitchen throw rug. I always have a paper towel on the floor to wipe up the frequent drops of water that I find around the sink,dishwasher,fridge,and range area, and that's not such a good look. Now, you may notice the link says purses and totes, that's the way it always goes on the world wide web isn't it? You start out searching for something specific, and one link leads to another... But, back to the rug, I'd like a rug that is no more than 4' wide and no less than 3 1/2' ,that would cover the area between the kitchen sink and the range. The perfect length would be 4'. I like braided rugs. A braided rug made of recycled material would be very nice. Googling those words I eventually ended up at the above site.
At this site the material that caught my eye was the recycled plastic bag rugs, "wow, bet those are ugly", I thought. Wrong! I can't believe how pretty they are! I happen to have hundreds of plastic bags, and the website provides instructions (horrible), and at least one link to other instructions (better), with a choice of weaving, crocheting, or knitting the rugs so a person with some talent (not a person like myself) could make their own rug. I'm not saying that I want one of these type of rugs on my kitchen floor. I may be suggesting that someone with sewing/crocheting talents (a person unlike myself) might see something at this site to give them ideas on how to make a little extra cash by making and selling some rugs, or purses (which are really cute, braided rug purses!).
Plastic bags were only one material, recycled blue jeans, corduroy, and t-shirts were also used. I also have a box of blue jeans that I've kept for years intending to make a tablecloth with them. Since I am "sewing challenged", this will probably never happen. I think a rug made of these materials would feel better under my feet than plastic..
I used to crochet, I was never as good at it as others closely related to me, but who knows- maybe I'll give it a try this winter, or maybe the weaving.... Maybe.
Cool website! MCC Connections sells woven upcycled denim rugs in many sizes and colors. I could go check to see if they have the size you want and what it would cost. I have a couple of their rugs and they are fantastic!
ReplyDeleteok, wish I could go with you! The problem with finding just the right rug seems to be the size, I didn't want a bunch of small ones, and several small would end up costing as much as one big one anyhow. When I load the dishwasher water always drips on either side of the door, water is always dripping in front of the sink to the range, and in front of the fridge where the water dispenser is. If they don't get wiped up immediately they will dry and look bad and I'll have to mop. I also need a rug in front of the dog door, and later will need one at each entrance, but those 3 need to be indoor/outdoor types. We're always needing something around here it seems!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if Connections would make a custom sized one for you? I was also thinking you could get one of those cushioned rugs for kitchens... I think they make some pretty big ones.
ReplyDeleteI looked at memory foam rugs, and another cushioned type who's name escapes me, which is ok because I could not afford them. In fact, any type of rug is so expensive, that's why I thought I could make my own. I won't be a complete negative nellie, but the chances of me successfully making my own rug are pretty slim. I might try, but the end result would be laughable, I'm sure... I have trouble sewing on a button...sad..
ReplyDelete