Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good ol' Kohl's department store!




Chris has a girlfriend, Brooke, his first girlfriend, they have been an item for about 13 months.  She's a very nice girl, younger than him, she's in 10th grade and Chris is a senior.  Their relationship is all very normal for people their age, except for the duration of their time together, a year is quite long for people their age.

Brooke's 16th birthday is next week, I've asked Chris several times if he's been thinking of a gift for her, knowing that he will pull one of his typical moves (like his father), and wait until the last minute to react, then panic because he has nothing.  Last time I asked him about a gift he said," I dunno, maybe I'll make her a chair."  Huh?  A chair!!

While I've tried to teach Chris how to be a gentleman, as well as coaching him on being thoughtful, and applying just the right amount of romance, I've also cautioned him on jumping in with both feet.  They are too young to get "all serious", and I've tried to gently warn him about making verbal commitments in boy/girl relationships that he may later want to back out of.  Of course, he doesn't think that I know anything, and all you have to do is see their Facebook posts to know the words of commitment they say to one another.  However, a chair, handmade or not, is not exactly what I think Brooke would like... even though a chair for a gift would certainly say, "I am not committed to you", which is what I want.

If you're familiar with Kohl's department store, you know about the great sales they have.  If you have a store credit, you'll know about the extra savings coupons that come by mail throughout the year.  Last week I received a 30% off coupon, that's the maximum, and I rarely have received one of these.  And I thought about Brooke's 16th birthday, and that maybe I could save her the horrors of getting a chair, hand made by Chris, for her 16th birthday!

Last night, while Chris was at Youth Group, I went to Kohl's jewelry department to look for a necklace for Brooke.  I explained the kids situation to the sales woman, I told her that diamonds, or any gems were out- gems equal commitment to a 16 year old girl.  The same idea for anything with two hearts entwined (absolutely NO entwining), or anything with a key- as in- the key to my heart... I thought a necklace with a cross or an angel on it would be nice.  She led me to a display case that had several to choose from, all 14K gold, and marked at 70% off.  I picked one, and asked how much it was.  It was $150.00...but, with the mark down, plus my 30% off coupon, I paid $25.00 for it!  Happy day!

When I showed it to Chris he was happy, and said, "it even has a heart on it".... Yep, right there in the center of the cross is a heart!  How did that fact get past me?  I told him I thought that represented his love for Jesus, not his love for Brooke... 

Picked up a few new kitchen towels too!  At 1/2 off, plus my 30% off coupon!

1 comment:

  1. That's really pretty!!!

    Do you remember that I was 15 and Bob was 18&1/2 when we started dating? Just sayin'.... ;)

    ReplyDelete